6.17.2011

Pottery Barn Knock Off

I love Pottery Barn. Plain and simple. I wish I could buy 98.539% of their store at all times. Maybe it's a good thing that we live in in the middle of nowhere. The only time I am ever close to one is when my beloved laptop needs to visit the Apple Store. Why did they put the Apple Store right next door to Pottery Barn????  Ugh.

First world problems, I know.

Wondering where I'm going with this? Me too.

What I am trying to say, in the most roundabout way possible, is that when I took my computer in last week and walked by PB, I remembered a project I wanted to share.

So what's the next best thing to Pottery Barn? Goodwill! I kid, I kid but I do kinda love it.

During a not-so-recent trip to Goodwill I found ugly light fixture for $5.99 that I just had to have. When I brought it home J thought I had gone nuts. This was pre-blog so I don't have any before pictures (sorry!) but it looked a lot like this one, only covered in dust and GW stench:


After J stopped making fun of me, I very kindly let him know that it was nothing a little bit of paint couldn't fix. I recently discovered Rust-Oleum's metallic spray paint in Oil Rubbed Bronze and I knew it would do the trick!



So I took the whole light apart, cleaned it, went to the garage, and got my spray paint on. I did a couple of light coats and kept the paint can moving. After it dried and I put it all back together it looked like this:



Looks pretty close to this, right?

Pottery Barn $269
Great Success! (Imagine a Borat accent)

So while painting the light was a success, the next part of the story was a big fat FAIL. I had planned all along for the light to go in the entry way. J hung it up, we admired it, and I was so proud of myself that I sent my sister this picture.

Notice anything wrong? I didn't.

But my sister, who obviously is more observant, pointed out that the light hangs lower than the door. DUH! How did I not even notice that? So back down it came. At this point it was late so I put it in on our guest room floor to deal with the next day, where it lived for the past 2 months.

This past weekend we finally got around to moving it from the floor to the ceiling!


Not too shabby for $5.99 and a can of spray paint.

Penny likes it too. She says hi.




Linking up


HOG




Photobucket








Tip Junkie handmade projectsThe DIY Show Off

1 comments:

Janet said...

omgosh it looks ten times better! And it looks so stinkin' close to the pottery barn one! GREAT JOB!

www.iheartmygluegun.com

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com